.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Takoma Park, Maryland, United States

I'm now a 52-year-old American male raised as an Episcopalian, veteran of submarines, Peace Corps, and State Department. I like teaching people about what they can do with computers and have gotten by as an independent Microsoft trainer teaching networking, but I really hope to someday find a way to make a living traveling on my motorcycle, camping, and writing about places and people I meet along the way.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Iraqi agents on trial in U.S., Iraq (Regime of Terror)

Iraqi agents on trial in U.S., Iraq (Regime of Terror)

This may provide some perspective on what the delay is in Susan's case. They very well may have wanted to see what materialized during other trials.

2 Comments:

Blogger JB said...

I'm really at a loss. I feel as if I'm living among a nation of people that has lost their capacity for discernment in a haste to live in fear and under the tyranny of fear mongers.

And how fear mongers love their power.

How many human civilizations practiced human sacrifice: letting priests sacrifice their children as insurance to assauge their own fear of poverty from draught?

I have heard, "When the rights of any are denied, the rights of all are threatened." I'm a veteran and I wonder when I get the country I believe in back.

6:58 PM  
Blogger JB said...

Susan's obsession with calling her own shots annoyed Liz Fink. To be fair, a lot of the reason Susan is where she is regardless of whether or not she is guilty of any crime, is because she generally won't take advice from anybody.

I don't want to venture a guess as to why there has been no decision. I just don't know. It just feels to me like it doesn't mean anything special to be an American, anymore. We have become a country that thinks that might makes right, and that assauaging fear is more important that working for justice.

When I was in Bogota, years ago, I read about a judge whose son had been kidnapped and was still missing after 5 years. My impression was that she did the job of being a judge regardless of threats. We, seem to think that fear is reason enough to live by lower standards. Gitmo, Abu Graib, Susan... we prosecute anyone who might be someone we should fear, and do so without trials, bail, or...

Oh well, I waste words and time. We've said it all before. The world is full of people and institutions that talk about values, and her home neighborhood more than others, but where are they? I'm thinking that the Republican party, at least, is less hypocritical, they may not be fair, but I like the notion that they present me with fewer surprising disapointments.

Where are Maryland politicians whose job it is to protect their constituents?

From my current office window, I have a view of the Watergate, the four American flags in front of Kennedy Center, and a bit of Arlington Cementary, across the river. I don't think the ghosts are sleeping well.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home