.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Takoma Park, Maryland, United States

I'm now a 52-year-old American male raised as an Episcopalian, veteran of submarines, Peace Corps, and State Department. I like teaching people about what they can do with computers and have gotten by as an independent Microsoft trainer teaching networking, but I really hope to someday find a way to make a living traveling on my motorcycle, camping, and writing about places and people I meet along the way.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

One of the main points that I've tried to make in my writing is the importance of the court in protecting our civil liberties. Without an enabled court, even people like Thomas Jefferson felt that our government could be as bad as any other tyranny. Recently, I was delighted to hear something on NPR that summed this up very well.

"Morning Edition, March 10, 2006 ยท Newly retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor took on conservative Republican critics of the courts in a speech Thursday. She told an audience at Georgetown University that Republican proposals, and their sometimes uncivil tone, pose a danger to the independence of the judiciary, and the freedoms of all Americans.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5255712

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home